Welcome to another episode of ‘let’s just bosh it all together and see what it turns out like!’ AKA Slimming World recipe time. This week, I’m talking Slimming World Slow Cooker Lasagne. It contains all my favourite food groups. Meat? Good. Pasta? Good. Cheese? GOOD!
Last week I felt like I could have carbed up as if I was training for the London Marathon and amazingly, not even two bone-dry Ryvitas hit the spot. Funny that. So it was time to get out the big guns … the stodge.
We don’t eat much pasta in our house so the kids knew I meant business when they saw a rogue box of pasta sheets on the side. But I’m a big fan of lasagne and have always believed in the very famous motto, “Lasagne is better with loads of cheese.” I rarely have my HexA each day, so I’m pretty sure I’ve used a month’s worth of cheese in this dish. (Not really. Well maybe just a bit.)
I’m lucky enough to have a Sage Fast Slow Pro, which is a pressure cooker and a slow cooker in one. It’s an absolute God send. Pulled Pork in less than an hour, roast chicken in 45 minutes or just use it like a regular slow cooker. It does a lot more than I give it credit for (namely because I haven’t actually used all the settings yet!) but suffice to say, I’m a fan.
Enough waffling (mmm … waffles) and onto the recipe. I’ve borrowed (and tweaked) this from Two Chubby Cubs, a hilarious blog written by Paul and James, so a big thank you to them.
- 500g lean 5% fat beef mince
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or garlic puree)
- 500ml passata
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200g lasagne sheets (about 1/2 a box)
- 300g fat-free cottage cheese
- 250g quark
- 250g half-fat mozzarella cut into chunks – this is 2 balls, but use as much as you like (65g is one person’s HEA)
- 100g low-fat Cheddar for topping (optional) – I use 30% less fat Pilgrims Choice
- Make your Bolognese sauce as normal – ie. brown mince in a large frying pan, then add passata/tinned tomatoes, herbs, garlic, chopped carrot and onion, seasoning, Worcestershire Sauce and any spare rotting veg that’s in your salad drawer that needs using up. Put aside.
- Put quark and fat-free cottage cheese in a blender, add seasoning and blend.
- Put a quarter of the meat mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker, then add a layer of pasta sheets (break up if necessary), then the mixed cheese sauce. I then add torn up chunks of half-fat mozzarella on top – that may have been because I forgot to blend it with the quark and cottage cheese. I’m sure it would work either way.
- Repeat layers three times until everything is used up.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, you can (I’m not forcing you though) put some sliced up low-fat cheddar cheese on top and finish under the grill.
Brown off mince and vegetables
Add passata, tomato puree, garlic and seasoning
Blitz quark and cottage cheese – add a little seasoning
Tear mozzarella into chunks and add to each layer of cheese sauce
Layer meat sauce, pasta sheets, cheese sauce and mozzarella until everything is used up
This is my fancy Sage Fast Slow Pro (I don’t have man’s hands for the record – this is a stock image)
Et voila! Delicious Slimming World Slow Cooker Lasagne
I gave myself a brain aneurism trying to work the syns out for this one but can we just agree it’s pretty low? As usual, it depends on how much lasagne you have but this dish serves six people so the half-fat mozzarella in one serving of lasagne is less than your daily HexA allowance, and the quark and cottage cheese are free, as is the mince, so really it depends on how much, if any, cheddar you put on top. The Pilgrims Choice Lighter is 323 calories for 100g if that helps you work it out.
It didn’t taste any different to ‘normal’ lasagne, but cooking it in the slow cooker made it a little stodgier than usual – which is no bad thing, am I right?! Serve with 1/3 speed food and a synned glass of red – enjoy!