Now I’m into my fifth week of following Slimming World at home, it’s become clear I have my favourite recipes I keep returning to, time and time again. Time will tell whether this adversely affects my weight loss, but whilst I’m still losing weight, I say TO HELL WITH IT … I WILL HAVE SALMON TWICE A WEEK!
Another meal I absolutely love, and have mentioned before, is Slimming World Pulled Pork. Mmmmmm mmm. It is DE-licious. I’ve tinkered about with the recipe slightly to suit my personal tastes but I’m going to detail the original recipe and talk about tweaks a little later. We have this every Saturday night because I’m such a sad act I have no man in my life or anywhere to go, so I’m going to cry into my pulled pork until I have no tears (or Weight Watchers tortillas) left.
Anyway, onto the recipe!
- 5-2kg pork shoulder, all fat removed (a joint you’d normally buy for a roast)
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 500g passata (or 2 tins of chopped tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed (or a couple of squirts (lol, squirts) from a tube of garlic paste)
- 3 tablespoons sweetener
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut all visible fat and skin off the pork joint, then cry into your Mugshot as you throw it in the bin, thinking of all the delicious crackling it would have made.
- Put meat into a pressure cooker or slow cooker.
- Measure out all the other ingredients and put into a saucepan.
- Mix and simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced.
- Once reduced, if using chopped tomatoes, you may (if you can be remotely bothered) blend the sauce at this point. I only do it because my son has tomato issues.
- Pour sauce over meat and cook as instructed. I normally pressure cook on 80 for one hour, and then just leave simmering in the slow cooker for the rest of the day so everyone can help themselves. If you’re using a slow cooker, you could (but you don’t have to), sear the meat in a frying pan beforehand, but cook on low for 8-12 hours.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from sauce, put on plate and shred with 2 forks – put shredded meat back into sauce and it’s ready to serve.
Don’t forget you can use passata OR tinned tomatoes – chilli also optional
Vegetarians … LOOK AWAY! I’ve cut as much fat and skin off as I could. This amount of pork served approximately six portions.
All the ingredients in a saucepan – simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Because my son has tomato issues, I blend the sauce once it’s reduced – bit of a faff but creates a nice smooth sauce. Pour over meat.
I’m lucky enough to have a Sage Fast Slow Pro – a pressure cooker and slow cooker in one. It’s amazing. Pulled pork in an hour!
The meat is in there somewhere! At this stage, I taste and adjust seasonings, normally adding more balsamic and Worcestershire sauce for more tang. Take the meat out, shred it and add back to the sauce and it’s ready to eat.
I served with brown rice and salad – sometimes I really go mad and I have a Weight Watchers tortilla wrap (5 syns.)
This Slimming World Pulled Pork is free on the Extra Easy Slimming World plan and I promise you, you’ll love it. If you find your sauce is a little watery at the end if you’re using a slow cooker, put on high and reduce the sauce for a while. My pressure cooker has a ‘reduce’ option built into it so I can blast it if it needs it. You could serve with rice, tortillas or even the Slimming World Oxo roast potatoes – let’s face it, you could eat it with pretty much anything.
Let me know what you think and in the meantime you can follow me on Instagram (WitWitWoo) or Twitter (@iamwitwitwoo).