Over the course of a day, you get asked a lot of questions. “What’s for dinner?” “Have you seen my favourite jumper?” “Can you help me with my homework?” But here’s a question you’ve likely not heard before: Is your hair as overworked as you are?
Between the blow dryer, the straightener, and those regular colour and processing appointments, your hair may be begging for a bit of moisture. Luckily, starting a full repair regimen for your tresses is a lot easier than you may think. Here are four moisturising tricks that can help bring your hair back from the brink of breakage.
1. Find a conditioner with keratin. Keratin is a protein that your body naturally produces to keep your hair and nails strong. If your hair is lacking it because of too much styling, find a product that can give you some of it back. Conditioners with keratin are able to penetrate the hair shaft when left to sit for a few minutes, so this is a process that you can do in the shower.
2. Make your own conditioner. If you want to go the natural route, you could mix up your own conditioner with just a few ingredients from the kitchen pantry or the refrigerator. Food ingredients like egg whites, honey, and mayo all have restorative properties that are all-natural, so you can rest assured that they won’t be harsh on your vulnerable hair. Vinegar also makes for a great anti-dandruff solution (just make sure to use it before you wash), and olive oil can also add lustre to your locks when used as a conditioner. Plus, these items have the additional benefit of being inexpensive and convenient to use.
3. Go longer between washes. It’s not always necessary to wash your hair every day or even every other day. In fact, the more you wash and style it, the weaker your hair becomes. Try waiting for one more day before lathering up, and you’ll also reduce the need for blow drying and straightening. A new hair washing regimen is one of the best ways to make sure that you don’t end up with even more split ends and damage.
4. Let it air dry. If you find that you can’t help but to wash your hair regularly, the other solution is to cut down on the heat that you apply to it. Search for professional product lines, such as Frizz-Ease, that can help tame your waves or curls by making them look richer and shinier when they air dry. Then, take a cue from one of this season’s hair trends by adding a braid, or go classic route with a modern bun.
* I was paid to feature this guest post.